Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the "UGC-CARE List" of Journals?
The UGC-CARE Reference List of Quality Journals is now divided into TWO groups, instead of the original FOUR groups to simplify the search process. These are NOT hierarchic or ranked groups.
- UGC-CARE List Group I: Journals found qualified through UGC-CARE protocols
- UGC-CARE List Group II: Journals indexed in globally recognised databases
2. What are predatory/ dubious/ questionable journals or publishers?
The terms "predatory journal" or "predatory publisher" are entities that prioritize self-interest at the expense of scholarship and are characterized by false or misleading information, deviation from best editorial/publication practices, lack of transparency, and/ or use of aggressive and indiscriminate solicitation practices.
3. How often UGC-CARE List is updated?
UGC-CARE List is updated quarterly i.e. on first of January, April, July, and October (or on the next working day if there is a public holiday on these dates) every year.
4. Why few journals are removed before completing the quarter?
Journals found to be involved in unethical practices will be removed immediately.
5. Where one can find UGC-CARE List?
The UGC-CARE List is available on the website https://ugccare.unipune.ac.in
6. Who can recommend journals for inclusion in the UGC-CARE List?
7. How can publishers add their journal/s to UGC-CARE List?
Publishers can submit journal title/s through IQAC Cell of any affiliated college / University following the prescribed submission process with the recommendation of teaching faculty along with the duly signed declaration form by competent authority.
8. What is the status of the research papers published before the UGC-CARE List?
9. Why are some journal/s recommended by colleges/ universities are not included in the UGC-CARE List?
Following could be the reasons for non-inclusion:
- The journal/s might not have been received through the IQAC centre of particular university.
- Journal/s might not be fulfilling the qualifying protocols.
10. How corrections can be made in the UGC-CARE List?
11. How to submit complaint/s about a journal in the UGC-CARE List?
The UGC-CARE List is dynamic. The complaints/grievances regarding journal entries in the UGC-CARE List can be submitted through the feedback option available on the UGC-CARE website. No submission form for journals will be entertained, if it comes through feedback option.
12. How to find journal/s in a particular subject area?
A subject search option is provided on the UGC-CARE list. The journals in the UGC-CARE List are classified according to All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes, which are created and maintained by Scopus (Elsevier Science).
13. Whether the journals indexed in different database are part of the UGC-CARE List?
Journals indexed in globally accepted databases are part of UGC-CARE List Group II. No other databases are recognized by UGC-CARE.
14. What is the status of journals indexed in Web of Science or Scopus database in the UGC-CARE List?
Any journal indexed in Web of Science or Scopus database is the part of the of UGC-CARE List Group II. There is no need to submit such journals again for inclusion into the UGC-CARE List.
15. How to search the journals indexed in Web of Science and/ or Scopus database on the UGC-CARE website?
One cannot search journals indexed in Web of Science and/ or Scopus database directly on the UGC-CARE website but separate links to these databases are provided under Group II of the UGC-CARE List.
16. Are journals included in the Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) of Web of Science included in the UGC-CARE List?
Journals included in ESCI are not part of the UGC-CARE List Group II. As and when these journals are included in the Web of Science source publications (Arts and Humanities Citation Index (AHCI), Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE), Social Science Citation Index (SSC)), then, they will be automatically become the part of the UGC-CARE List under Group II.
17. What is the re-review process of the rejected journal/s?
Rejected journal/s can be submitted for re-review only after one year and will be required to follow the prescribed submission process. These journal/s will be reconsidered only if they qualify the analysis protocol.
18. Which are the states covered by a particular UGC-CARE University?
Four UGC-CARE Universities and their corresponding states are as per the following table
|East Zone||Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Sikkim, Tripura, West Bengal|
|West Zone||Chhattisgarh, Dadara and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra|
|South Zone||Andaman & Nicobar, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu, Telangana|
|North Zone||Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand|